Advertisement

GANGNAM STYLE | PART ONE | PASTRIES & PIZZA | EATLITFOOD 008

GANGNAM STYLE | PART ONE | PASTRIES & PIZZA | EATLITFOOD 008 Alby does Seoul fucking Gangnam style sweeties. For those of you who don’t know, until not too long ago, Korea was really povo. It was a third world country and shit was not glamorous. Despite South Korea’s economic boom taking place between the 60s and 80s, barely anyone really knew of Korea. As a kid, I remember people would always ask if I was Chinese or Japanese and they always slept on Korea which was absolute blasphemy to me as I was well aware that Seoul rocked.

As I started getting a little older, a few weeaboos started picking up on mainstream Korean music and some of the meaner kids would watch these K-Pop music videos and straight up laugh at the content, making me embarrassed to be Korean. But then we hit the late 2000s and Korean pop culture started buzzing and Psy’s Gangnam Style was released. Call me lame, but that song meant a lot to me because it was just bizarre to see my culture being celebrated. The white kids at school weren’t laughing at him, they were laughing with him and I’d catch them looking at other K-Pop groups, actually listening to the songs and watching the music videos because they were intrigued. I started making friends in my classes because my cellphone was way cooler than theirs as I got mine parallel imported from Samsung, while the best shit the other kids could find was a Motorola RAZR. The Korean girls at school came back after the summer break, so much hotter, with the coolest clothes and they would tell everyone that they got their new face and fit from Seoul and the white kids would be shook.

Basically, Korea became dope worldwide, which was cool for me but also weird. The rapid growth of South Korea, economically and socially, has caused a major divide in society. Last week, we explored the Northern part of Seoul which is closer to what Seoul used to be before shit went off. This week, I take on Gangnam, Seoul’s most expensive district, where a croissant costs just under $10 and a small pepperoni pizza is over 30 buckaroos. This is part one, but part two is better because I get work done on my face hehe

Website:
Instagram:

Filmed and edited by Tim Lambourne
Presented by Albert Cho

Eat,lit,food,eatlitfood,albert,cho,albertcho,tim,lambourne,timlambourne,seoul,tour,bakery,ourbakery,pizza,never,sleeps,pizza never sleeps,our bakery,garousu-gil,

Post a Comment

0 Comments